Who we are and where your data is stored
Unless otherwise specified below, data we collect is stored on our premises in Luxembourg or with one of our web hosts (located within the EU).
Information we collect
Information we collect automatically
When you visit our website
No personal data is collected (your IP address is anonymized by our web host before it is stored in the access or error log on our server).
When you use our software
We do not track your use of our software. Our software may contact our servers to check for updates. No personal data is transmitted to us during the update check (the software reads a file on our server containing the current version number). When you use a licensed (paid) version of our software, it may contact our server to confirm the validity of your license and to ensure that the maximum number of concurrent users has not been exceeded. During this procedure, your license key will not be associated with personal data we may have on file.
Information you provide to us
We collect information that you provide to us, e.g. by contacting us, leaving a comment or filling out a form on our website.
Data we receive from third parties
When purchasing a software license
If you purchase a license through our reseller FastSpring, you will have to submit some personal data which Fastspring will make available to us. FastSpring's privacy statement can be found here.
Who we share your data with
We do not sell or share your private data. We do not use it for marketing purposes without your explicit consent.
How long we retain your data
Generally, we discard information about you when we no longer need it for the purposes for which we collect and use it and when we are not legally required to continue to keep it. As a customer, your data will be deleted after completion of the contract and after expiry of any legal retention periods. If you are not our customer, your data will be deleted 3 years after the last contact. This applies unless you have expressly consented to further use of your data or unless we reserve the right to use data beyond this period in a ways permitted by law and about which we inform you in this declaration. For example, if you leave a public comment on our website, the comment and its metadata are retained as long as the article you commented on is still available.
Legal basis for processing your data
We will only collect personal data as described above when one or more of the following applies:
- you have given us your consent, for example, when you sign up for a newsletter;
- processing is necessary to fulfill our contractual obligations to you or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, for example, when place an order with us;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; for example, due to accounting and taxation laws;
- processing is in our legitimate interest and these interests are not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Our legitimate interests include: ensuring the security of our services, protection from piracy and unlawful use of our software, improvement of our services.
What rights you have over your data
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Third party services and embedded content from other websites
Our site search functionality is provided by Microsoft. When using this search function, the search term is transferred to Microsoft. The purpose and scope of the data collection and the further processing and use of the data by this provider as well as your rights in this regard and your options to protect your privacy can be found in Microsoft's privacy statement.
Version 2020.1.0-232key published on August 27, 2020.